Leslie Ray Ware

Photography

  • The City of Ayutthaya

    Ayutthaya (full name Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya), city is the capital of Ayutthaya province in Thailand. Located in the valley of the Chao Phraya River. The city was founded in 1350 by King U Thong, who went there to escape a smallpox outbreak in Lop Buri and proclaimed it the capital of his kingdom, often referred to as the Ayutthaya kingdom or Siam. Ayutthaya became the second Siamese capital after Sukhothai. Its remains, characterized by the prang (reliquary towers) and gigantic monasteries, give an idea of its past splendor. It is estimated that Ayutthaya by the year 1600 CE had a population of about 300,000, with the population perhaps reaching 1,000,000 around 1700 CE, making it one of the world's largest cities at that time. In 1767, the city was destroyed by the Burmese army, resulting in the collapse of the kingdom. The Ayutthaya historical park is the ruins of the former capital of the Kingdom of Siam. It is the site of the enslavement

     of Siamese people and destruction of the Ayutthaya city, its art and buildings by the Burmese in 1767, which is recognized internationally as a UNESCO World

     Heritage Site. The city was re founded a few kilometers to the east. The city is sometimes called "Venice of the East"

 

 

Back to Thailand Gallery

 

 

 

 

All Rights Reserved. No Image may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical,photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the written permission of Leslie Ray Ware.